SICA Howard Strong Scholarship Program
The SICA Howard Strong Scholarship Program offers ten $1000 scholarships to individuals for post-secondary education and/or training in pursuit of a career in the construction industry. The scholarship can be applied to tuition, textbooks and/or other educational purposes for entry into a construction trades apprenticeship or related program. Applications must be submitted to the Southern Interior Construction Associations' head office in Kelowna, BC; the scholarship is valid for two years.
SICA Member Employee Scholarships (4)
Eligibility - The SICA member employee scholarship applicant must be currently working for a SICA member company or be a family member of an employee working for a SICA member company.
SICA Student Scholarship Scholarships (3)
Eligibility- The SICA student scholarship applicant must be currently attending an educational institution with plans to work in the construction industry; including High School and College/University students. Proof of enrollment will be required.
SICA Industry Entrance Scholarship (3)
Eligibility - The SICA industry entrance scholarship applicant must have proof of enrollment into a construction trades apprenticeship or related program.
Regardless of category, all applicants must be a permanent resident within the Southern Interior region of British Columbia. To enter, all applicants will be required to provide:
- An essay or video (maximum 3.5 minutes) demonstrating interest and involvement in the Construction Industry
- A letter of reference from a current employer or instructor. Individuals applying for the Employee Award must submit a letter of reference from a current SICA member
The content of your essay and/or video should aim to address the following questions:
- Why did you choose to pursue a career in construction?
- How will you use your studies to better our region?
- What are the barriers facing students wishing to pursue a career in construction?
- Where do you see the construction industry in 10 years?
All applications will be evaluated based on:
- Academic Achievement (10 points)
- Extracurricular Activity (35 points)
- Essay/Video Answers (55 points)
Total: 100 points
All answers (essay or video) will be graded on:
- Content (20 points)
- Communication (15 points)
- Creativity (10 points)
- Overall Presentation (10 points)
Total: 55 points
- Applicants will be forwarded to the Education Committee by May 30th
- Successful applicants will be notified by August 15th
Submit Application by:
Southern Interior Construction Association
#104-151 Commercial Drive
Kelowna, BC V1X 7W2